Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Molasses Sugar Cookies

On a trip to Logan, Ohio last year, my mom and I stumbled across a little red box.  It would've been easy to miss, just jumbled in with old odds and ends on the porch of the antique shop.  Somehow though, it caught my eye.  As I bent down closer, I could make out the word 'RECIPES' on top.

Well, naturally, the next thing to do was open it.  I was expecting it to be empty... it was marked only $5.  To our surprise, it was packed with old, handwritten or typewriter-made recipe cards.  Mom encouraged me to get it, although I was unsure at first if I should... would the recipes even be any good?

On the trip back home, she drove, while I kept pulling out recipe after recipe... "Ohh, that sounds good!  Listen to this one..."

I went through almost every recipe by the time we pulled in the driveway.

Since last year, I have tried a few of the old recipes, such as this one, which I've re-typed, mostly unaltered.  You can click on the picture of the original card below, for a larger view.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Molasses Sugar Cookies

3/4 c. shortening                              2 c. sifted flour
1 c. sugar                                           1/2 tsp. cloves
1/4 c. Brer Rabbit Molasses             1/2 tsp. ginger
1 egg                                                  1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda                             1/2 tsp. salt

Melt shortening over low heat, remove from heat; allow to cool.  Then add sugar, molasses, and egg.  Beat well.  Sift together flour, soda, spices, and salt; add to first mixture.  Mix well and chill.  Form in small balls.  Roll in granulated sugar.  Bake on greased cookie sheet in moderate oven (375) 8 to 10 min.


They did forget one thing, so I'll just add it for them...  
ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 30, 2011

    I love molasses cookies. I think this was a wonderful find. I have a box with old recipes in it almost identical to that box but mine is brown. I've had mine for at least 30 years. They are recipes I kept from when my children were small and we lived on the farm. I still look at them once in a while. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love thumbing through the old recipes and thinking about the person behind them. Wonder what someone would think if they looked through mine... Your box of recipes will surely be a treasure to your children and grandkids someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the exact recipe that I got from a lady in Texas in about 1963 and also I have the perfect pie crust recipe that you have had on your site that I got from a home economics teacher in California about 1968. They're both never-fail and great. I use them all the time.

    ReplyDelete

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa